Tuesday 19 July 2016

Today, I visited the part of Glen Canyon Regional Park that is nearest to Westbank Centre Park, the area where last year I had first found the invasive plant, Myrtle Spurge. In the late summer of last year, with the cooperation of park staff, a number of us volunteers did a "spurge purge". All visible spurge plants were removed, bagged and destroyed. I expected then that the plant would reappear this year from seeds which had already been produced. However, when Martha and I visited the area on 18th May of this year, no new plants were found.




On June 16th, I found just one young Myrtle Spurge.


Today, however, I found a dozen or more young plants, some only a couple of inches tall. I carefully pulled the first two that I found, making an effort to remove all of the long taproot (First picture, above). But since I had neglected to bring gloves and plastic bags, I will have to return shortly to remove all visible plants. This year we must remove them before they produce seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment